Mi’kmaq/Maliseet Bachelor of Social Work Program
The Mi’kmaq/Maliseet Bachelor of Social Work Program is an accredited social work program that provides First Nation individuals with an opportunity to receive social work education within a flexible and culturally relevant framework.
The programme is directed toward First Nation peoples in New Brunswick and the Maritime Provinces who wish to become social workers in their communities.
• There is recognition that First Nation peoples have been historically disadvantaged in educational and other systems.
• The program design respects that First Nation students are typically employed and have family commitments.
• There is recognition of First Nation systems of knowledge and ways of learning.
• There is a culturally-relevant curriculum that reflects First Nation holistic experiences.
• The program is overseen by a committee of members from St. Thomas University, First Nations Child and Family Agencies, and student representatives from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.