See the World While You Study: Italy Travel-Study June 23 to July 13, 2020
Study, explore and discover the artistic and cultural beauty of Italy as a country and as a major influence of western civilization and the humanities. This is a remarkable opportunity to see Venice, Verona, Florence, Rome, Vatican City, and Pompeii. Italy has a rich legacy with a timeline that spans all major periods: Etruscan, Roman, Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Neoclassical, Modern and Contemporary.
INFORMATION SESSION: November 6 at 4:00 PM. Click for details.
UNESCO data indicates that Italy is home to 60% of the world’s cultural patrimony: churches, cathedrals, archeological areas, buildings, museums, houses and statues. Italy has 55 UNESCO World Heritage Sites – the greatest number than any other country. The nation is filled with some of the most fascinating cities in the world, filled with treasures of art and architecture that have profoundly affected the course of history. The entire cities of Venice, Florence, and Rome together with Vatican City, and Pompeii have earned the prestigious recognition as UNESCO World Heritage Sites in their own right.
Dr. Mark Temelini (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Italian Professor, Romance Languages Dept
ITAL 2033 - Travel-Study: Introduction to Italian Civilization
This study tour of Italy offers a harmonious blend of language, culture and countryside. It presents an overview of Italian civilization from its origins to the present day. Topics to be examined include major Italian artistic and literary movements. Highlights encompass visiting various Italian cities and experiencing a unique immersion into Italian art, architecture, cuisine, history, religion, music, fashion, and current events. (The course is taught in English, 3credits, knowledge of the Italian language is not required. No prerequisite required)
This year’s itinerary starts in Venice (4 nights) including the islands of Murano and Burano, and a day trip to Verona; and proceeds to Florence (4 nights), including a gastronomic tour of the Chianti wine region; and proceeds to Rome (11 nights) including Vatican City and a day trip to Pompeii.
- Day 1 Departure from Canada. Overnight flight.
- Day 2 Arrival in Venice. Visit St. Mark’s Basilica.
- Day 3 Venice -> islands of Murano and Burano.
- Day 4 Venice -> Verona, city cultural tour.
- Day 5 Venice. City cultural tour.
- Day 6 Venice to Florence. Visit Piazza del Duomo.
- Day 7 Florence. City cultural tour. Uffizi Museum.
- Day 8 Florence -> Chianti food and wine tour.
- Day 9 Florence. Academy Gallery (Michelangelo’s David).
- Day 10 Florence to Rome. Trastevere neighbourhood walkabout.
- Day 11 Rome, the Ancient Imperial city (Roman Forum, Colosseum).
- Day 12 Rome. Piazza del Campidoglio to Piazza del Popolo walkabout.
- Day 13 Rome -> Vatican City. St. Peter’s Basilica. Sistine Chapel.
- Day 14 Rome. Historic city centre (part 1).
- Day 15 Rome. Historic city centre (part 2).
- Day 16 Rome -> Pompeii. Archaeological walkabout.
- Day 17 Rome. St. Mary Major’s Basilica to St. John the Lateran’s Basilica.
- Day 18 Rome. Catacombs.
- Day 19 Rome. Free day. Group supper.
- Day 20 Rome. Via Veneto and Villa Borghese walkabout.
- Day 21 Rome. Departure from Italy.
This course is open to everyone 18 years of age or older who would like to combine their love of travel with a cultural learning experience. All are welcome to participate for credit or non-credit: students, alumni, friends, relatives, educators, and professionals. Participants can attend this course without being a student at St. Thomas University.
A valid passport. International students should confirm with their Diplomatic/Consular Representatives for specific information. Students will be required to sign a liability waiver and to demonstrate proof of travel health insurance.
Travel to Italy
Students are responsible for making their own air travel arrangements. Please do not book air travel until you have confirmation that this program is definitely running. If students are interested in travelling together in the same group, please let Dr. Temelini know and arrangements can be made to book the same flight.
- tuition for 3 credit hours of class instruction
- transfer fees airport-hotel
- 19 nights of accommodation (double or triple occupancy)
- 19 breakfasts
- 1 “welcome to Italy” pizza lunch in Venice
- 1 lunch and wine tasting in Chianti region
- 1 group supper at a renowned gastronomic restaurant in Rome
- all entrance fees to museums, sites, cultural events that are visited as part of the course
- program related ground transportation (boat, bus, train, metro).
The cost is the same for participants who wish to audit the course and participate in all the daily activities.
Cost Does Not Include
- air transportation to and from Italy
- passport/travel visa
- international medical/travel insurance
- course materials
- daily lunches and suppers
- spending money, souvenirs, sundry expenses.
How to Apply
To register, please contact Dr. Mark Temelini at email@example.com
Cheques or Money Orders are written out to ‘St. Thomas University’ and are submitted to Dr. Temelini.
Full Payment is due March 13th 2020.