Whether it’s juggling a busy class schedule, figuring out how to study effectively or balancing a social life, adapting to university will be an exciting challenge. That’s why we have a peer mentoring program. No one knows how to successfully navigate university life better than a student who has gone through it too.
We connect first-year students (mentees) with senior students (mentors) trained to help with the transition into university life. The mentor will be a support network, listen in a non-judgmental way, assist with goal setting and connect first-year students with opportunities on campus. Mentors and mentees meet once a week to touch base, talk about any challenges and build connections.
First-year students can apply to be a mentee for a little extra support during their transition to university life.
Rewards for Peer Mentees
- Manage stress and maintain a sense of well-being
- Feel a sense of belonging on campus
- Receive academic support like study skills and time management
- Develop meaningful connections with other students, staff and faculty members
- Increase awareness and use of support services
Second, third, and fourth-year students can apply to be a Peer Mentor and enhance their knowledge and skills through this fantastic volunteer opportunity.
Benefits of Being a Peer Mentor
- Meaningful professional development experience
- Training in active listening, effective communications, and referral skills
- Resume writing workshop for mentors
- Reference letter from Student Services
The matching process
Mentors and mentees are paired based on common interests, hobbies, and academic focuses.
Duration of program
The program runs from September to April. Mentor and mentee parings are expected to meet every week; however, it all depends on the parings needs.
Schedule and flexibility
The Peer Mentoring Program also host events once each month to get everyone together. The program seeks to fit the needs of individual mentees and will work around the schedules of mentors and mentees.
If you would like to apply to be a mentor or mentee, sign up today!
Contact Peer Mentoring
Peer Mentor Program Student Coordinator