Below are some resources that were created to help faculty at St. Thomas University begin using technology to put courses together online. If you have questions along the way, please feel free to reach out to someone on the Remote Teaching Team for help.
- How to Build an Effective Online Course (PDF)
This is a guide to course design specifically for the online medium.
- Bare Bones Guide to Moving Your Course Online (PDF)
The most basic steps for putting your course content into an asynchronous online Moodle course.
- Bare Bones Guide to Assessment (PDF)
Choose from a variety of alternatives to invigilated tests and exams.
- Panopto Get Started Guide (PDF)
You will need this as step #4 of the the Bare Bones Guide to Moving Your Course Online.
- Moodle Get Started Guide (PDF)
If you've never been to Moodle, this will get you started.
- Accessing Gradebook
Your Gradebook is a tool for viewing, managing, and releasing student grades.
- Adding Manual Grade Items
For course assessments that are not linked to a Moodle activity, you will have to manually add a grade item column to Gradebook.
- Adjusting Grade Category or Item Settings
You can customize the settings options for individual grade items and categories in your Gradebook.
- Gradebook Aggregation Type
The aggregation of your Gradebook determines how the course total is calculated.
- Moving Grade Items or Categories
You can rearrange your Gradebook by moving the grade items or categories.
- Showing Hiding Grade Items or Categories
In your Gradebook setup tab, you can choose to hide or show all or individual grade items and categories.
- Gradebook Setup -- Full Document
This document outlines the step-by-step process of setting up your Gradebook.
- How can I keep an eye on my online students to see how they are?
In a face-to-face class it's obvious when students don't show up. Here are some ideas for finding them in your online course.
- How to open your courses to students
Even if they're enrolled, your students are not able to enter your Moodle course until you make it Visible. Here's how.
- Adding Time to a Quiz (Moodle)
Simple instructions to add time to a quiz in Moodle for a group.
- Adding Time to an Assignment (Moodle)
Simple instructions to add time to an assignment in Moodle for a group.
- Adding Students to Groups (Moodle)
Basic instructions on how to add students to groups in Moodle.
- Using Moodle Groups: Settings
Learn to use groups in Moodle settings.