St. Thomas offers a student awards program that includes scholarships for high academic achievement, bursaries for students who have demonstrated financial need, and other awards for students balancing academic performance with extracurricular, volunteer, or community achievements.
Scholarship Application Deadline: March 1
To be considered for scholarships and bursaries, you must submit an application. Unless otherwise indicated, the deadline to apply for scholarships and bursaries is March 1.
By submitting one complete application, candidates will be considered for the majority of awards that are available.
Did you miss our Winter Open House?
Watch the Scholarships and Bursaries Presentation now.
St. Thomas offers a wide variety of entrance scholarships that range in value between $500 - $65,000.
Except when otherwise specified, entrance awards are open to candidates for full-time admission to the first year of the Bachelor of Arts program who are applying on the basis of their high school records. Candidates with a minimum admission average of 80 percent (or the equivalent for international applicants), who submit a completed scholarship application, will be considered for entrance scholarships.
In selecting entrance scholarship recipients, the primary criterion considered by the Entrance Scholarship Selection Committee is the academic record. The Committee reviews the admission average, grade 12 program courses and levels, rank in graduating class, and program and performance in grade 11. In addition to the academic selection criteria, leadership qualities, extracurricular activities, and financial status may also be considered in awarding some entrance scholarships.
St. Thomas offers bursaries to students in financial need. Bursaries are valued between $500 - $3,000 and are funded by donations from faculty, staff, and friends of St. Thomas University. Bursaries are open to candidates for full-time admission to the first year of the Bachelor of Arts program who are applying on the basis of their high school records or as an adult learner.
Preparing your Scholarship Application
You will be required to provide the following information on your scholarship application:
1) A letter (maximum 2,000 words) in which you explain what makes you a strong candidate for a scholarship. Following are suggestions of areas you may wish to address in your letter:
— your reasons for pursuing university studies
and plans for the future
— your reasons for applying to St. Thomas
— activities demonstrating your leadership qualities
— extracurricular, community, and volunteer activities
— hobbies and outside interests
2) A resume, which lists any extracurricular activities that you have participated in within the past four years.
3) A letter of reference from a teacher, guidance counsellor, or principal describing why you are a strong scholarship candidate. The referee may wish to identify your skills, attitude, and growth, as well as your contributions to and performance within your school. You will upload this letter into your scholarship application.
4) International Students Only—Proof of ability to finance a university education.
After this information has been prepared, and you are ready to submit your scholarship application, please log-in to your applicant portal to find the scholarship application under the “Next Steps” tab. Note: only students who have received an offer of admission are eligible to apply for scholarships.
Preparing your Bursary Application
You will be required to provide the following information on your bursary application.
1) Financial information relating to your parent/guardian(s), including occupations, income, and the number of dependents supported.
2) A letter (maximum 500 words) in which you explain the reasons why you feel you would qualify for a bursary. Following are suggestions of areas you may want to address in your letter:
—capacity of your family to contribute financially
—your employment situation (i.e., currently working,
planning to work during the summer months,
inability to work)
—any special needs or requirements
After this information has been prepared, and you are ready to submit your bursary application, please log in to your applicant portal to find the bursary application under the “Next Steps” tab. Note: only students who have received an offer of admission are eligible to apply for bursaries.