Advanced Standing Program
St. Thomas University is piloting an advanced standing program for students currently in or entering their final year of high school. The program will give students an opportunity to engage in university-level coursework on a part-time basis, taking a maximum of two courses per semester.
Classes Currently Available for September 2020
Please note that some courses listed below are full-year courses.
Intro to Cultural Anthropology
Principles of Biology I
Intro to Communications
Intro to Economics (Micro or Macro)
Intro to Theatre
Intro to English Literatures
Exploring Musics of the World
Intro to Gerontology I
Great Thinkers and Writers
Intro to Italian
Journalism: The Message: Great Stories
Intro to Japanese
Intro to Philosophy
Political Science: Canadian Government
Political Science: Global Politics
Intro to Psychology
Intro to Religious Studies
Science, Technology, and Society I
Intro to Irish Studies
Intro to Business
*This list is subject to change.
Students can submit an application for admission at www.stu.ca/applynow as non-degree, part-time students, paying the non-refundable $55 CAD ($40 CAD for NB residents) application fee.
Applicants will be required to meet the following minimum requirements for admission to the Advanced Standing program at St. Thomas University:
- Be currently enrolled in the final year of a high school program of study;
- Have an 85% or higher on a grade 11-level, academic English course (or equivalent);
- Have an 85% or higher on a grade 11-level, academic history or social studies course.
When final grades are not available for these courses at time of application, the decision will be made by the Director of Admissions based on the applicant’s overall academic record. Fulfilling these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Space in the program is limited.
Admitted students will be able to register on a first-come, first-served basis as part-time students in designated first-semester, second-semester, and full-year courses with the assistance of an admissions counsellor.
Fees: $732 per three credit hour course cost (Canadian and International students). Other student fees will not be applied for this pilot project. Please note that depending on the class there may be a required textbook to purchase.
Support for student success
Before the start of the semester, a tailored, online orientation program will be made available for advanced standing students, in addition to one-on-one appointments, to ensure students are informed and well-equipped for success. Throughout each semester, including once before the deadline to add courses and once before the deadline to drop courses without penalty, the administering admissions counsellor will conduct outreach to advanced standing program participants.
Applications, including supporting documents, must be submitted by September 7 by applicants seeking to register in first-semester and full-year courses. Applications, including supporting documents, must be submitted by December 15 for second-semester courses. Applications for this limited enrollment program will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Notification of admission
- Candidates are notified of any supporting documents which may be missing through their applicant portal.
- Normally, Advanced Standing candidates will be advised of their admission status within two weeks of completing the application process.
- All candidates admitted to the Advanced Standing program are required to electronically confirm acceptance of their offer on their applicant portal as confirmation of their acceptance of the admission offer.
- Successful candidates are referred to the Advanced Standing program coordinator upon notification of their acceptance for information pertaining to orientation and course registration.
Learn More: Contact Admissions