Advanced Standing Program
St. Thomas University is piloting an Advanced Standing program for students currently in or entering their final year of high school. The program will give students an opportunity to engage in university-level coursework on a part-time basis, taking a maximum of two courses per semester.
Classes Currently Available for January 2021
Intro to Cultural Anthropology
Intro to Business
Intro to Policy Studies
Intro to Criminology
Intro to Economics (Macro)
Intro to the Study of Literature
Understanding Environmental Problems
Intro to Environmental Praxis
Intro to Gerontology
World History Since 1400
Intro to Human Rights
The Message: Great Stories in Journalism
Law, Power, and Politics
Intro to Psychology
*This list is subject to change.
Students can submit an application for admission at www.stu.ca/applynow as non-degree, part-time students, paying the non-refundable $55 CAD ($40 CAD for NB residents) application fee.
Applications, including supporting documents, must be submitted by Monday, January 4, 2021 by applicants seeking to register in second-semester courses. Applications for this limited enrollment program will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Applicants will be required to meet the following minimum requirements for admission to the Advanced Standing program at St. Thomas University:
- Be currently enrolled in the final year of a high school program of study;
- Have an 85% or higher on a grade 11-level, academic English course (or equivalent);
- Have an 85% or higher on a grade 11-level, academic history or social studies course.
When final grades are not available for these courses at time of application, the decision will be made by the Director of Admissions based on the applicant’s overall academic record. Fulfilling these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Space in the program is limited.
Admitted students will be able to register on a first-come, first-served basis as part-time students in designated second-semester courses with the assistance of an admissions counsellor.
Fees: $732 per three credit hour course cost (Canadian and International students). Other student fees will not be applied for this pilot project. Please note that depending on the class there may be a required textbook to purchase.
Support for student success
Before the start of the semester, a tailored, online orientation program will be made available for Advanced Standing students, in addition to one-on-one appointments, to ensure students are informed and well-equipped for success. Throughout the semester, including once before the deadline to add courses and once before the deadline to drop courses without penalty, the administering admissions counsellor will conduct outreach to Advanced Standing program participants.
Notification of admission
- Candidates are notified of any supporting documents which may be missing through their applicant portal.
- Normally, Advanced Standing candidates will be advised of their admission status within two weeks of completing the application process.
- All candidates admitted to the Advanced Standing program are required to electronically confirm acceptance of their offer on their applicant portal as confirmation of their acceptance of the admission offer.
- Successful candidates are referred to the Advanced Standing program coordinator upon notification of their acceptance for information pertaining to orientation and course registration.
Learn More: Contact Admissions