Internship Information for Employers and Host Organizations
We invite organizations and businesses to participate in our unique internship program and gain access to our top students. Liberal Arts students are uniquely qualified to meet the needs of the profound economic, social and technological changes of the coming workforce, in that they are able to apply their humanity — to be creative, critical and collaborative. These special abilities set them apart from their peers and give them a competitive advantage.
Some benefits to hiring an intern include:
- Cultivate teaching and leadership skills within your own employees.
- Gaining new and fresh perspectives to solve problems.
- Discover potential future employees.
- Increase awareness of your business or organization on our campus community.
To ensure a successful internship, it’s important for the host organization to:
- Provide a new or expanded meaningful experience with substantive projects for the student to work on.
- Mentor, guide, and train the student intern on skills that are new to them.
- Ensure you meet with the student often to help them achieve their personal learning goals.
- Provide the student with ample instructions of tasks and give appropriate feedback.
- Allow flexibility in the student’s workflow and work schedule, to accommodate their school work.
“Our St. Thomas intern has already proven to be invaluable, producing work at a very high level of ability. Within a few weeks it was obvious that we need someone permanently to be doing the work he does.”
- Gavin Kotze Lawyer / Avocat Director of Systemic Advocacy / Directeur des enquêtes systémiques Office of the New Brunswick Child and Youth Advocate / Bureau du Défenseur des enfants et de la jeunesse du Nouveau-Brunswick
How to get started:
We are now accepting employer applications to host STU interns for the winter 2019 semester, summer 2019, fall 2019, and other personalized start dates.
Your organization can host interns for multiple terms if agreed upon, and funding is available to support non-profit organizations and businesses.
Contact Jessica Hughes—Manager, Office of Experiential and Community Based Learning—to request an Internships Application package with employer guidelines, expectations, and other valuable information.
Manager, Office of Experiential and Community Based Learning
George Martin Hall 302C