Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements
The requirements for A Bachelor of Arts consists of a subject concentration and a prescribed distribution of courses. To graduate from the Bachelor of Arts program, you must successfully complete the following requirements.
Requirements for Successful Complete of a Bachelor of Arts
- Successful completion of 120 credit hours
- A concentration in a specific subject area or interdisciplinary grouping constituting a Major or Honours
- NOTE: Students must refer to the St. Thomas University Academic Calendar to determine whether they have met the requirements for their Major(s). If students are unsure of the requirements as listed in the Calendar, they should consult the Department Chair or designated Departmental Advisor.
- No more than 60 credit hours in one subject within the 120 credit hours required for the degree
- A minimum of 72 credit hours at the intermediate (2000) level and above
- An annual GPA of at least 2.0 in the academic year of graduation or on the last 30 credit hours of study
- Completion of at least 12 credit hours from Group A subjects (Catholic Studies, Communications & Public Policy, English, French, Great Books, History, Human Rights, Irish Studies, Italian, Japanese, Journalism, Latin, Mi’qmak/Maliseet languages, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Spanish)
- Completion of at least 12 credit hours from Group B subjects (Anthropology, Business, Criminology, Economics, Gerontology, Native Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Women’s and Gender Studies)
- Completion of at least 6 credit hours from Group C (Environment and Society, Math, Natural Sciences eg. Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Science and Technology Studies) OR Group D (Fine Arts, Music, Visual Arts) OR 3 credits from both C and D Groups
NOTE: All students majoring in Psychology are deemed to have completed the requirements for Group C.
STU Registrar’s Office